Lewis Chapel Church is located seven miles east of Sumter on the old Plowden Mill Road. This church has served it's community up to present date (2011) for one hundred and sixty years.
During the summer of 1851, a group of men, women and children assembled under the shade of some oak trees for the purpose of making some plans, whereby they might worship and glorify their God. Their wishes were made known to the Presiding Elder, Samuel Wragg Capers of the Columbia District of South Carolina Conference, and the Reverend Nicholas Talley and the Reverend John Wesley North were appointed to preach to this group for the remainder of the year. After some discussion on the subject providing a house of worship, it was unanimously agreed by the group to build one as soon as possible. Robert Tisdale and I.R. Brunson were elected the first trustees, and bought two acres of land from AndrewJ. Moses for the sum of two dollars for the said plot. This transaction was made August 2, 1851, in the Book O, pages 177-178. The deed was written by G.W. Black and E.H. Jones and contained a Trust Clause. The plot at present assumes a rectangular shape, due to changes in the public road and a canal ditch.
Our Church before Hurricane Hugo 1989
On September, 22, Hurricane Hugo roared through South Carolina and Sumter was struck extremely hard. The sanctuary of Lewis chapel fell victim to this indescribable tragedy. The congregation was disappointed but hopeful that God would guide us through this horrible experience. They chose seven members to guide us through the planning and building program. The Building Committee, Graham Tisdale, Chairman, Carson Prescott, Grace Prescott, Nancy Boykin, Christine Johnson, Clarence Huggins, and Wade Warr tirelessly pursued the vision of providing the best facility possible for this generation and those yet to come. May His Name be praised in every generation allowed to worship in this lovely sanctuary.
We promise to uphold Lewis Chapel United Methodist Church by our prayers, our presence, our service and our gifts.